EVERGREEN ARBORETUM & GARDENS ANNUAL MEETING TRIVIA CONTEST
Many thanks to Shawn O’Donnell’s American Grill and Irish Pub for hosting our pre-
meeting trivia contest. The Everett location, on 128th Street, is open for dining in and
for delivery or takeout. Check out their menu on this website – including “Molly’s
Garden” for some tasty, lighter fare.
Trivia Contest open from 6:00 – 6:45
Answers need to be submitted by 6:45
Winner Announced at close of annual
Zoom meeting, around 7:45PM
Our Tree Trivia game is two self-directed rounds.
Round 1 offers 15 general knowledge trivia questions related to trees. Earn 2 points for each correct answer.
Round 2 is a pictorial quiz. How well do you know your trees? 2 points for each correct answer.
This is a game of honor! No Google, no reference books, no calling your niece the botany professor. Just individuals or teams of up to 5 people, and your brain cells.
Gather your smart friends in your own virtual Zoom room, Google Hangout or the old fashioned group call on the telephone.
A rough timeline for the evening...
6:00 Round One and Two questions will be posted
6:45 Answers must be submitted using the “submit” button below
6:45 – 7:00 – use the Zoom link you received via email to join the Arboretum’s virtual Annual Meeting
7:45PMish Answers and winners revealed as part of the Zoom meeting!
Rounds 1 and 2 will be posted at 6:00 PM
ROUND ONE: GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
Instructions: Write your answers in the Answer Grid below these first 15 questions.
1. In which decade did the Everett Garden Club found the Arboretum?
2. What is the opposite of a deciduous tree?
3. True or false: One tree ring always indicates one year in the life of that tree?
4. Juniper berries flavor what type of alcohol?
5. What type of tree is featured in Antoine de Saint-Expery’s novella The Little Prince?
6. What is the name of the slow-moving Guardians of the Forest in JRR Tolkein’s Lord of the Ring series?
7. Which country boasts the first documented Arbor Day, in the 16th century?
8. In Betty Smith’s 1943 novel, what kind of Tree Grows in Brooklyn?
9. Which small Colorado city, founded as a mining camp during the Colorado Silver Boom, was later named after the abundance of certain trees in the area?
10. Which of these is NOT a designated area of the Arboretum:
The Horizontal Rock Garden
The Small Urban Tree Walk
The Mayors’ Favorites Garden
11. Acer is a genus of trees commonly known by what name?
Bonus point if you can name one of the cultivars to be found in the Arboretum (latin and/or common name)
12. True or false: The Master Gardener Demonstration Garden focuses on edible landscaping plants.
13. Which one US state celebrates Arbor Day as an official state holiday?
14. The bark of which tree is also known as “nature’s aspirin"?
15. What common name was coined for the seeds of the maple, ash and sycamore trees for the way they spiral through the air during dispersal?
ROUND TWO: PICTURE IDENTIFICATION
Instructions: Write your answers in the Answer grid below.
Tree Identification options (note: there are three names you will not use)
A. Monkey puzzle (Araucaria Araucana)
B. Japanese maple (Acer palmatum)
C. Golden spreader Caucasian fir (Abies nordmanniana)
D. Star Magnolia (Magnolia Stellata)
E. Cedar (Cedrus)
F. Holly (Ilex)
G. Birch (Betula)
H. Golden Chain (Laburnum)
I. Dogwood (Cornus)
J. Strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo)
K. Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii)
L. Madrona (Arbutus menziesii)
M. Weeping cedar Cedrus deodara
N. Arborvitae (Thuja)
O. Sparkling Arrow Alaskan cedar (Cupressus nootkatensis or Chamaecyparis nootkatensis)
P. Joe Kozey Umbrella Pine (Sciadopitys verticillate)
R. Fig tree (Ficus carica)